Saturday 31 May 2014

Super Duper Finally gets fitted

A fair number of months ago, I wrote this blogpost/article about low-mount turbo chargers for the SR20DET. I'm glad it's gone into circulation as well as it has. For those of you who have read that article, first of all, thanks, and secondly, you may recall that I had procured myself a "Super Duper" thanks to Sunny and Kemp aka STR8E180.
Recapping on the above-mentioned blogpost/article, this turbo isn't available for purchase and is a custom construct following years of R&D. There are only two others like it and none of them are identical. A Super Duper should push out 280rwkW on 98RON and drop in cams on an SR20DET. I would like to see what it's capable of on E85.
The creators of the turbo were looking to develop the most power-productive turbocharger that can be low-mounted to an SR20DET. The turbocharger has been in my possession since August 2013 and I have been procrastinating on putting the setup together.
I'm pleased that the turbo fits. The manifold took a bit of surgery to get working (the wastegate flange fouled up against the gearbox and the runners come eerily close to the ABS unit). A stock airbox was fitted as I'm hoping to get this setup as stealth as possible. The engine bay is in a mess but we'll get there slowly.
Currently, the following mods are:
- Haltech PLatinum pro plugin
- Wideband, ethanol, air temp, 4 bar map sensors
- 3 inch turboback exhaust with no interruptions vinishing with Varex muffler
-  Walbro 450LPH fuel pump
- 1000cc injectors
- Custom steam pipe manifold
- A Super Duper

Soon we'll have:
- Catch can
- 264 in/ex cams
- Adjustable cam gears

The tune on the ECU is a very rough tune at the moment as Powertune Australia was moving at the time and thus we'll be knocking out a complete flex tune after I have the cams in. I find myself laughing as I say "a very rough tune" as that was the words out of the tuner's mouth, however in all my years meeting car owners, I'd say this tune would be in the top 10% of tunes I've encountered in terms of quality even when compared to complete tunes. Chea's a gun. We're unsure what power the car makes yet, the car didn't even hit the rollers, however it's all safe. All I can say is that my eyeballs vibrate in third and when on gate! Oh and I don't have a boost gauge so I can't even tell you how much boost I'm making. For all this info, you're just going to have to stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment